This is my first of probably a gazillion coconut ice cream recipes. This rocky road ice cream fake out is likely my gateway into complete coconut ice cream addiction. I get that sweets are a "gray area" on the Paleo diet but you should definitely indulge in this when you do have a craving. I recommend putting this into two separate "His & Her" containers in the freezer if you have a territorial food relationship with your significant other.
Compatible with Following Diets: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo
Serving Size: 8
What you Need:
- Ice Cream Maker (Pre-Freeze container for 24 hours) .... Arguably the most important part of the recipe
- 1 33.8 oz carton (1000 mL) of 100% Coconut Cream (Full Fat Coconut Milk)
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Additional ideas to include - Dark Chocolate Chips, Marshmallows (if you're really having a craving)
- Whisk together coconut cream, cocoa powder, agave nectar, vanilla, sea salt. Make sure there are no cocoa clumps remaining.
- Assemble ice cream maker (including pre-frozen container). I recommend the Cuisinart ice cream maker for those who are looking for a fool proof one.
- Add coconut milk mixture to ice cream maker and turn on.
- Toast shredded coconut and almonds in toaster oven for ~3-5 minutes (or until toasted). Baby sit them so they don't burn (It happens quickly!)
- Run ice cream maker for ~20-25 minutes or until coconut ice cream has consistency of soft serve.
- Add toasted coconut & almonds to the ice cream while it is mixing.
- Remove from ice cream maker and place in quart sized plastic containers (The disposable kind from the grocery store work great). Freeze until hard.